Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Greetings! Welcome to Jalopy
Hello, my name is Daniel Kautz the writer/director/producer of Jalopy. I wanted to greet all of you now in this blog to the VFX crew of the most ambitious student film of San Francisco State University.
I suppose I should say something about myself. As my bio says I am in fact no swashbuckler but a filmmaker an aspiring bay area filmmaker to be exact. I have crewed on five independent feature films as well as numerous shorts and music videos. You can view my IMDB page here :http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5160062/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
So enough of that, what is Jalopy?
Jalopy is a short sci fi film made by students and alumni of SF State. It is shot on 35mm film and features several spaceship sets me and my crew built. It is our goal to recapture the essence and feel of classic sci fi films such as Star Wars, Alien, Forbidden Planet, and Star Trek. Our primary goal is to make a film that looks like a professional film that could be viewed in a theater and not another student short shot on DSLR.
The Story
The story is of Kate, an emotionally closed off scavenger, boards a spacecraft on route to the tropical planet paradise of Bellicose to find the ship losing power and a distressed passenger named Dustin who has awakened prematurely from suspended animation. Kate must decide to sacrifice her own ship along with all her treasures in order to save Dustin and the ship's crew, or rob him and leave with her life and a profit....
The VFX problems and potential?
I have come to you the talented folks of expressions college to help me make the final leap in completing this film. The Visual Effects have proven unwieldy and beyond my abilities. Our lack of knowledge of Visual effects during production has caused many of the shots visual effects condition to be....well it's far less than ideal for several of the shots. Lens flares and uneven lit green screens are the primary issues. Attempting the effects myself left me insane and huddled in a corner crying. However before you run in terror let me say this, Jalopy footage is of high quality and looks very cinematic. This film offers a range of VFX, from space ship exteriors, to teleport effects, to set extensions, to green screen space exterior replacement, to a full glowing pulsar.
Jalopy is headed the festival route and it is a film that I believe will catch the eye of viewers. I myself have not seen a student film with like this. I am looking forward to working with all of you on Jalopy!
Daniel Kautz
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.